SPA began in 1948 as Southampton and District Auctioneers Valuers and Estate Agents Association (SAVE). It was predominantly residentially focused and took on a policing role, to ensure reputable practices were adhered to. It also provided a point of contact between members sharing details of their various negotiations with the District Valuer.
In the last 15 years or so the Association has become more centred around commercial agents and found a new role in delivering CPD. The name changed to Southampton Property Association in 1997 to demonstrate a widening of the membership base. In 2004 the Association widened the rules to include all whose business affairs are substantially property related.
The Association has a benevolent fund the trustees, are Des Ely, Richard Tuck and Tim Bizzey to whom members may make enquiries for assistance should they or their families find themselves in need.